- Minister for Foreign Affairs of Cuba
- Con to the question "Should the United States Maintain Its Embargo against Cuba?"
“The US policy towards our region, whether under Democrat or Republican governments, is essentially the same…
On July 31 last, the US State Department included Cuba again in a unilateral and arbitrary list of States that sponsor international terrorism.
The true purpose pursues with the inclusion of Cuba in that spurious list is to fabricate pretexts to increase the persecution of Cuba’s financial transactions and justify the blockade policy which has caused invaluable human and economic damages that are worth one trillion dollars, estimated according to the present value of gold.
The United States do not have the slightest moral or political authority to judge Cuba.
It is known that the US government has resorted to state terrorism as a weapon of its policy against Cuba, which has caused the death of 3,478 and maimed 2,099 of our compatriots…
We reiterate to the United States… our irrevocable vocation for peace and our interest to move on to the normalization of relations through dialogue, on an equal footing and with absolute respect for our independence.”
Speech to the United Nations General Assembly, un.org, Oct. 1, 2012
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to foreign policy in general or the Cuba embargo specifically. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to foreign policy in general or the Cuba embargo specifically.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Minister for Foreign Affairs of Cuba, Mar. 2, 2009-present
- Member, Political Bureau, Communist Party of Cuba, Dec. 12, 2012-present
- Head, international relations department, Union of Communist Youths (UJC), 1981-present
- Former Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs of Cuba
- Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Cuba, 1995-2003
- Appointed Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, 1993
- Former director, Juventud Rebelde
- Secretary of International Relations, National Bureau of the Young Communists, 1986
- Former Professor, International Law, University of Havana
- Former national president of the Federation of High School Students
- JD, University of Havana
- Contact Info:
- None found
- None found
- Cuba diplomatic website
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the United States Maintain Its Embargo against Cuba?